The Feast of the Sto Nino or the Child Jesus is widely celebrated in the whole Philippines. Almost every town has its own barrio Sto Nino or many towns has made the Sto Nino its patron or protector. From Tondo to Cebu’s Sinulog Festival, every Sto Feast is unique. Same goes to how the people in Kalibo, Aklan as they celebrate the Ati-atihan Festival annually in January.
The Ati-Atihan Festival in Kalibo, Aklan is celebrated just in the same time as most Sto Nino Feasts and Festivals like the Sinulog Festival in Cebu. It also feaures many highlights like in Sinulog’s Street Dancing. But what make’s the Ati-atihan unique is that instead of wearing traditional Filipinia costumes , the participants of the Ati Atian wears black body paint and native acessories like feathered headgear and beaded necklaces to honor their ancestors way back before the Spanish invasion. Even tourist are encouraged to wear face paint during the Ati-Atihan Festival.
One of the highlights of this festival is the Street Dancing Competition. This year 2014, 24 groups or “tribes’ registered for this event. A sum of 700,000 pesos is at stake for different categories in the Ati-Atihan street dancing competition.
When is the Ati Atihan Festival 2014 in Kalibo?
Most of the main events and highlights for the Ati-atihan fefstival 2014 will be held from January 13 up to January 19, 2014. If you want to be part of the celebration, please see the schedule of events below.
Kalibo Ati-atihan Festival 2014 Schedule of Events
January 13 Monday
- Parade of Aklan Festival Showdown (Ecological-tourism themed costumes) 2 PM
January 14 Tuesday
- Parade of the students and teachers with a theme -Viva Sr. Sto. Nino Starts at 2PM
January 15 Wednesday
- Parade of DepEd Students with a theme “Sinaot sa Calle” (street dancing)
- Car Show and Street Party
January 16 Thursday
- Parade of DepEd Family “Sadsad Panaad” Starts 8AM
- Higante (Giant) Contest Parade starts at 2PM
January 17 Friday
- Whole day Ati-Atihan street dancing “Sadsad Pagpasaeamat” from 8 AM to 7 PM
January 18 Saturday
- Tribal, Balik-Ati & Modern and Individual Ati-Atihan Contest from 7AM to 7PM
January 19 Sunday
- Feast Day of Sto.Nino Pilgrims Mass 7AM
- Religious Procession Main Parade at 3PM
There are also some events that lasts the whole week from January 13 to 19, 2014. These are:
- Kalibo Ati-Atihan Trade Fair 2014 at the Kalibo Plaza Trade Hall
- Ati-Atihan Bazaar at the Veterans Avenue which is open from 8:00AM to 1:00AM
- Magsaysay Park Food & Party Festival at the Magsaysay Park which you can visit from 6PM to 1 AM
- Nightly Snake Dancing (people dancing like snakes) and Partying at the Magsaysay Park
- Food Festival at Pastrana Park from 9 AM to 12 MN
- A phot Contest is also open to Amateur and Professional photographers.
If you want to visit Kalibo, Aklan this Janury 2014 and join the Ati Atihan Festival, it is best book your hotels early and get your cheap airline tickets as early as possible.
Air Asia, Cebu Pacific, PAL Express all have daily trips to Kalibo, Aklan. Please see our latest posts for ongoing promos to Kalibo.
Please Like and Share!!!